A typical, fully loaded commercial truck can weigh approximately twenty-five times as much as a typical car, truck, or SUV. In addition, when a tractor-trailer is involved in an accident there is an elevated risk of both personal injury and property damage. New York drivers who are involved in an accident with a large truck may quickly find themselves facing large trucking companies and their teams of attorneys who are only focusing on avoiding personal liability and not concerned with the very real injuries you may have sustained from a truck accident.
The attorneys of Reiff Law Firm’s The Truck Accident Team have over 100 years of combined award-winning experience in representing innocent victims who were catastrophically injured or killed in truck accidents. We are creative thinkers who know exactly where to look for the kind of evidence that can win complicated truck accident cases. To schedule a private, no-cost evaluation, call our law offices at (215) 709-6940 or contact us online. If the statute of limitations expires, your window of legal opportunity will close and you won’t be able to pursue a claim.
About NY State Route 25A
Route 25A, which is commonly known as NY 25A is located in Suffolk County Long Island New York. Covering a distance of seventy-three miles from Queens to Calverton in Suffolk County this road sees thousands of travelers every day. This highway is as narrow as two lanes in some parts and as wide as 4 lanes as it passes through various areas It is also known as:
- Northern Boulevard,
- North Hempstead Turnpike,
- Main Street
This road starts at Interstate 495 which is also known as the Long Island Expressway in queens and crosses numerous other roads. Some of the Intersections that Route 25A makes include:
- NY 25,
- NY 101,
- NY 107,
- NY 106,
- NY 108.
This road crosses through numerous towns, cities, and areas of interest including:
- Long Island City,
- Jackson Heights,
- Flushing Meadows Corona Park,
- Miracle Mile shopping area,
- The New York Institute of Technology,
- The C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University,
- Sunken Meadow State Park,
- Stony Brook Museum,
- Mount Sinai,
- New York State Bicycle Route 25A.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a truck or bus accident, an attorney Reiff Law Firm’s The Truck Accident Team can help. We will look at your individual case and assist you in receiving the compensation you deserve by filing a personal injury claim against all those who may be liable for your accident.
Why Accidents happen on Route 25A
Car accidents, motorcycle accidents, and truck accidents are common on Route 25A in New York. There are consistent reports of accidents on this stretch of highway. On October 23, 2016, the Suffolk County police reported that they were investigating a fatal crash that occurred along route 25A in East Shoreham. This accident unfortunately resulted in a tow truck driver losing their life as they were attaching a disabled car to their truck. Accidents on the road usually result in significant property damage and as this recent accident highlight can result in the loss of life. However, when there is a large truck involved in any accident there is an increased risk that not only is there an increased chance of property damage, but that there will be deaths. Some of the reasons for accidents on Route 25A include:
- Trucks following too closely – Route 25A sees thousands of travelers every day, and as a result, there are frequent backups and traffic jams on the road. However, even when traffic is flowing smoothly large trucks who are following other drivers too closely pose a potential danger. The New York Department of Transportation noted that in 2014 alone trucks and other large vehicles resulted in nearly 1,600 accidents.
- Truck driver distraction – Driving a large vehicle requires absolute attention to the surroundings. However, truck drivers like many drivers today are constantly bombarded with distractions, however, when a truck driver is distracted there is not only an elevated risk of accidents but there is an elevated risk that the resulting accident will result in death or serious injury. In 2014, drivers who were not paying attention to the road or were distracted caused nearly 2,000 accidents in New York.
- Improperly passing – Route 25A ranges from two lanes to four lanes and the road will commonly shift in between. This means that there are areas of the road where it may not always be safe for a driver to pass other drivers. Large truck drivers who did not engage in safe passing procedures and methods caused 1,094 accidents in 2014, according to the New York Department of Transportation.
Anytime a driver is behind the wheel they have a responsibility and duty to the other drivers on the road to engage in safe driving behavior. However, as reports point out truck drivers and other motorists don’t always engage in safe driving practices. While the above reasons highlight some of the major reasons for accidents on New York roads, there are other factors such as driver inattention, and truck drivers failing to yield that lead to thousands of accidents every year. When a truck driver is on the road they are expected to respect the size and weight of their vehicle and to exercise caution when they operate their vehicles with caution. However, as evidenced by the amount of accidents that can be attributed to truck driver negligence this is often not the case. If a truck driver’s negligence causes an accident the driver, the trucking company, or other third parties involved can be held liable for any property damage or personal injury you may sustain.
Our Truck Accident Injury Lawyers Can Fight For You
Representing anyone who has been injured in a truck accident requires additional considerations that are not always considered in a standard car accident. The attorneys at Reiff Law Firm’s the Truck Accident Team can help you obtain compensation for any medical bills and rehabilitation costs you may have incurred as a result of a truck accident. In addition, our attorneys will work closely with you to determine if you are entitled to any compensation for lost wages, diminished earning potential, or pain and suffering.
If you have been involved in a serious commercial truck accident with an 18-wheeler or other commercial truck, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Our truck accident injury lawyers may be able to fight for you. To schedule a free and confidential consultation call (215) 246-9000 or contact us online today.