Every day, more than 1,000 cabs roll down the streets of Philadelphia, carrying countless passengers to and from work, school, errands, or simply a night on the town. But while most of these trips end safely, deadly accidents can occur at any moment – especially if taxi drivers fail to obey traffic laws. When a cab driver ignores the rules of the road, his or her passengers can be seriously hurt in an accident. So can pedestrians, cyclists, other drivers, and passengers who are traveling in other vehicles.
If you or one of your family members was hurt in a cab accident, or if you lost a loved one in a fatal crash, look to the Philadelphia taxi injury lawyers of The Reiff Law Firm for legal support you can count on. With over 40 years of experience advocating for injury victims throughout Pennsylvania, our award-winning attorneys have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. We are ready to apply the same tenacity and dedication to your case. To discuss a taxi accident claim confidentially in a free legal consultation, contact The Reiff Law Firm online, or call us today at (215) 246-9000.
Common Causes of Taxi Accidents
Taxi crashes have many potential causes. Some common examples include, but are not limited to:
- Driver fatigue, which can result from failure to obey restrictions on shifts and hours
- Driver intoxication, such as driving under the influence of alcohol or marijuana
- Failing to use turn signals or drive in the correct lane
- Lack of experience
- Mechanical problems that were not detected or repaired
- Pressure to complete rides quickly
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Speeding, especially if the weather is inclement or visibility is poor
While each of these causes appears different, they all share one element in common: human error. If a cab driver’s reckless or negligent actions were responsible for causing an accident, he or she may be liable for the resulting injuries. Taxicab companies can also share accident liability, which may arise from issues such as failure to inspect and maintain vehicles, failure to properly screen applicants, or failure to evaluate current drivers.
Philadelphia’s Personal injury Lawyer Extraordinary RESULTS
I can’t say enough great things about the Attorneys at the Reiff Law Firm. They made me feel at ease when I was going... through a very difficult time in my life. Never being in a situation like this I was so unsure of where to start and how to go about the process. Justin gave me options where I thought I had none and explained everything in a way that I could understand. Justin and the team helped me arrange all of the treatment and therapy that I needed, without them I would have been lost. My attorney John went to bat for me like no one else could have, his knowledge and professionalism is unmatched. If anyone is ever in need of a team of attorneys the Reiff Law Firm is my ONLY recommendation.
We were extremely impressed with the personal care and professionalism of the Reiff Law Firm. I would not hesitate in... the least to recommend them to my associates and friends. They were competent and aware of the developments which they openly shared. All the best to Reiff Law Firm
These guys don’t mess around. After a lot of research, it was clear from their results page and the free consultation... that this was the firm for me. They were always there for us, showed compassion, and answered each and every possible question. They will be my first and only call if I ever need anything in the future. Cannot stress enough... Just call them. They live up to their reputation many times over.
I highly recommend the team at the Reiff Law Firm. Both Jeff and Robert were there to guide me through a very difficult... time. What started out as a time for me that included a lot of doubt, questions and hopelessness has turned into one of a hopeful future. The team at the Reiff Law Firm made me feel at ease and I had no doubts trusting them with various concerns. They kept me informed every step of the way without making me feel overwhelmed or anxious. Don't hesitate to contact them for your legal needs - especially if you want a team that has the utmost concern and compassion for their clients.
It has been my professional privilege to know Jeff Reiff for 30 years. The effort he puts out for his clients is... extraordinary, as are the results. Every client that I have referred his way has thanked me for recommending them to Jeff Reiff and his firm.
Passenger Injuries in Taxicab Accidents
Passengers, drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians are all at risk for serious injury or wrongful death in the event of a taxi accident. The severity of the injuries depends on factors like the speed of the vehicle, the angle of impact, and the extent to which the victim was protected. For example, pedestrians and cyclists are at heightened risk of being killed or sustaining life-threatening injuries because they are not protected by airbags, seatbelts, or enclosing walls. However, even with these precautions, deadly or debilitating injuries can still result. Some common examples of injuries from cab crashes include:
- Bone Fractures – The impact from a vehicle, or from striking against the interior walls of a vehicle, can result in broken bones. Common examples include wrist fractures, broken legs, broken arms, and fractured collarbones.
- Crush Injuries – A crush injury occurs when a limb or extremity is trapped beneath a heavy weight, like debris from an accident, damaging tissue and cutting off circulation.
- Cuts and Lacerations – If a laceration is deep enough, the victim may need stitches, sutures, or staples to close the wound.
- Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI) – Damage to the spinal cord can result in paralysis, making these injuries extremely dangerous.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – A blow to the head can result in TBI, which can cause problems with memory, speech, coordination, and other important functions.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is a type of soft tissue injury that occurs when the neck swings rapidly back and forth, tearing or overextending tendons and ligaments. Effects can include pain, tingling, headaches, and stiffness.
What to Do After a Cab Accident
After the shock of experiencing an auto accident, you may feel overwhelmed, or be unsure about how to proceed. However, in order to maximize your chances of recovering timely compensation, it’s important to take certain actions. By following a few tips on what to do after a taxi accident, you can improve your odds of filing a claim successfully. You should take the following steps after a crash involving a taxi:
- Seek medical treatment, even if your injuries seem minor. It is crucial to receive a professional diagnosis, especially because some injuries may be internal or slow to develop symptoms.
- Obtain the taxicab’s license and registration number. As the Pennsylvania DMV explains, “All taxis are required to be added to the [Pennsylvania] fleet [registration] system.”
- Obtain the driver’s contact information, including his or her name and address.
- Notify the police about the accident, including your status as a passenger in the taxi, if applicable.
Philadelphia Taxi Accident Injury Attorneys Serving Pennsylvania
Taxi accidents involve highly complex insurance policies, which is the last issue you want to deal with while you are in recovery from a physically and emotionally debilitating injury. Let The Reiff Law Firm handle the insurance paperwork and negotiations for you, so that you can dedicate all of your energy to making the best possible recovery. We have more than 40 years of experience handling all types of automotive accident claims, including injury claims against cab companies, that we are ready to pour into your case.
You shouldn’t have to struggle with medical bills for an accident you did not cause. To discuss your injury confidentially, contact us online for a free legal consultation, or call the law offices of The Reiff Law Firm at (215) 246-9000 today.