The potential for a serious or catastrophic injury is increased for motorcyclists when compared to car, truck, SUV or bus drivers. Unlike drivers of other vehicles, motorcyclists are not protected by safety harnesses, multiple safety systems or a layer of metal and glass. Instead, the motorcyclist is exposed to the full extent of the elements and forces that make-up a collision. Many times these forces will throw the motorcyclist from the bike resulting in even more serious injuries.
For more than 34 years the attorneys of The Reiff Law Firm have worked with victims of motorcycle accidents in Doylestown and throughout Pennsylvania. If you have been hurt due to the recklessness or negligence of another person we may be able to secure compensation for your injuries.
What Should I Do After an Accident?
Following an accident, your most important concern should be your health and safety. Physical items and property can always be replaced or repurchased but there is no such option for your life. Therefore, following your accident your first action should be to get to safety. If your bike or the other vehicle is smoking or leaking fluids, it is especially important to distance yourself from the wreck as a fire or an explosion can occur.
Once you have reached a safe location, you should call 911 so that the dispatcher can send the police and medical professionals, if necessary. Once the police or ambulance arrives be sure to disclose any pain or discomfort you may be experiencing. Many times the full extent of injuries are camouflaged by endorphins and high levels of adrenaline that are present immediately following an accident. What may seem like a minor injury at first, may actually be broken bones, internal bleeding or another serious condition.
If it is possible and safe, it may be advantageous to take a smartphone picture or video of the accident scene. Even if you aren’t able to record the scene of the accident, our attorneys can work to reconstruct the circumstances that were present. Following the accident our attorneys can:
- Obtain and interpret the police report
- Investigate and document the accident scene
- Inventory all damages including injury and damage to property
- Consult and collaborate with medical experts
- Consult and collaborate with accident reconstruction experts
- Handle negotiations with the auto insurance company
The above represents only a few of the things that a The Reiff Law Firm attorney can do for you. All in all, we focus on the litigation so that you can focus on your recovery.
What Types of Injuries Are Common?
Each and every accident is unique and is experienced differently by each person involved. In fact, people involved in the same accident in the same vehicle can walk away with significantly different injuries in type and severity. However, despite the changes in circumstances, some injuries occur more frequently than others. Common injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Broken or fractured bones – Broken or fractured bones are not uncommon with the speeds typically involved in a motorcycle accident.
- Whiplash – Whiplash can occur due to rapid and violent acceleration or deceleration. It can cause pain, tingling, or numbness in the back and neck. Further whiplash can cause issues with memory, concentration, and cause mood swings.
- Traumatic brain injury – While helmets reduce the likelihood of suffering a TBI, they do not eliminate the risk. TBIs are especially troubling because they can cause changes in personality or make once routine tasks of daily living difficult or impossible.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident and suffered a serious or catastrophic injury, The Reiff Law Firm may be able to help. We work to hold reckless, careless and negligent drivers accountable for their actions. For your free personal injury consultation, call The Reiff Law Firm at (215) 274-0072 or contact us online.