What Happens If I Am Injured in a Car Accident in Another State but Live in Pennsylvania?

Table of Contents

    Being involved in a car accident is a situation that can give any person a large amount of stress, especially if severe injuries occur because of a car accident. A car crash that occurs in a state where you do not reside can become even more complicated depending on the circumstances. If you or a family member was involved in an out-of-state car accident, contact an experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyer today. We understand how a serious car crash can change your life, and we are here for you. Our car accident attorneys are here to explain what happens if you are injured in a car accident in another state while residing in Pennsylvania.

    What to Do If You Were in an Out-of-State Car Accident

    If you were involved in an out-of-state car accident, you will still want to take the same precautions you would normally. This means that you should call emergency medical services to the scene and also summon law enforcement to assess the scene and provide you with a police report.

    Take the time to exchange information with the driver that struck your vehicle. This information should include the motorist’s license, contact information, license plate, and insurance carrier. If your injuries are not too severe, you should take pictures of the damage to both vehicles and the scene of the accident for your insurance company.

    If you believe that the weather may have played a role in the accident, you should document the weather at the time the accident occurred. Additionally, if there were any witnesses that observed the accident and are willing to provide you with a statement regarding the car crash, you should request their contact information.

    Once you are finished at the scene of the car accident, you should inform your insurance company immediately.

    Filing a Lawsuit for a Car Crash in Another State

    Practically every car insurance policy will cover you for accidents that occur in other states. However, if you drive your car into another country like Mexico, your insurance company may not cover any accidents that happen in that country.

    One of the most difficult parts of having an out-of-state accident is when the insurance policy for the negligent driver does not cover the full damage to your vehicle or your injuries. When you are in a car accident in another state and the insurance does not cover your injuries, you must file a lawsuit in the state where the accident occurred. For example, if the accident occurred in New Jersey, the court system in that state has jurisdiction over that particular case. Our lawyers are also able to help you file a New Jersey personal injury lawsuit.

    If you have to file a lawsuit in a different state, you will want to ensure that you have an attorney that has experience with the laws in that state. Additionally, the attorney you hire must also be authorized to operate as an attorney in the other state. For this reason, many plaintiffs will seek out local law firms to file their lawsuit.

    A local lawsuit will be familiar with intricate laws that an out-of-state lawyer may not know about. For example, if a lawsuit must be filed in a particular manner, a Bucks County car accident lawyer from another state may not be aware of that filing requirement. This would likely require the plaintiff to return to the state if the case reaches litigation.

    However, there is another option for plaintiffs that are concerned about working with a law firm in another state. Depending on where the negligent driver resides and the amount of money the case is worth, the plaintiff may be able to sue through the federal court. This would allow the plaintiff to remain in their own state while pursuing compensation for their injuries.

    When considering the filing of a federal injury case, you must be sure that you retain a lawyer that is admitted to practice in federal court and that is familiar with the federal filing requirements. To determine whether you must file a lawsuit within the other state or in the federal court, you should speak with an experienced Chester car wreck attorney.

    Work with Our Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney Today

    If you or a family member need assistance filing a lawsuit for a car accident that occurred in another state, consult with an experienced Chester County car accident attorney immediately. The personal injury attorneys at the Reiff Law Firm possess a wealth of information regarding car accident cases, and we are prepared to use this knowledge to help you resolve your case. To schedule a free legal consultation, contact the Reiff Law Firm at (215) 709-6940, or contact us online.

    Our Offices

    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd #501
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Get Directions

    Get a Free Case Review

    "*" indicates required fields

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.