Beginning in Harrisburg and running south towards Baltimore, this road is part of the Interstate Highway System and often goes by the name “Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Memorial Highway”.
- Loganville borough
- Jacobus Borough
- Valley Green
- New Cumberland
The Interstate has business routes running through downtown York, as well as through Harrisburg’s central business district. Not only is this road heavily traveled but it is also the location of numerous accidents involving trucks and other large commercial vehicles. For example, on December 23rd a dump truck rolled over shutting down traffic for several hours as crews cleaned the scene. While there were no reports of severe injuries in this accident, other accidents are not easy. On April 7, 2016, a tractor-trailer lost control and demolished the concrete barrier dividing this road. These two notable accidents serve to demonstrate that accidents can and do happen on this road.
Leading Causes of Truck Accidents According to NCSA and NHTSA
The National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded and documented truck accidents across the country and have subsequently provided statistics and data to the general public, one of their statistics and findings was that the average cost of a commercial truck accident is about $59,150. Below are some of the leading causes of truck accidents:
- Driver fatigue – Truck drivers and other commercial drivers have gained a notorious reputation for driving their vehicles when they are overly tired. While you may think that this is not a major cause for concern, consider that by some accounts driving your vehicle when you are overly fatigued is similar to driving while under the influence of alcohol. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), reported that nearly thirteen percent of all truck accidents were related in part to driver fatigue.
- Alcohol and Drug abuse – Driving under the influence of alcohol or other illegal substances have been shown to reduce reaction time, inhibit judgment and ultimately lead to a higher likelihood that a driver will be in an accident. In fact, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), Over a quarter of the truck drivers involved in an accident were found to have traces of drugs or alcohol in their system.
- Speeding and Aggressive driving – Not only does driving while fatigued or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs lead to accidents and injuries, but speeding and aggressive driving also has been shown to be a leading cause of accidents. The faster or more aggressive a driver is when they are behind the wheel of a massive vehicle, the greater the likelihood that they will be involved in an accident.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is another leading cause of accidents on the road. Driving a massive vehicle such as a tractor-trailer requires a driver to pay close attention to the road and to what they are doing. However, drivers who are not paying attention because they are texting or talking on their phone or engaging in distracted driving behaviors has also been shown to cause accidents.
If you were injured in an accident with a large truck or another commercial vehicle while driving on Interstate 83 in Pennsylvania, then contact one of our experienced attorneys today.
Compensation Available for Truck Accident Injuries
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation every year, nearly 1,000 motorists die in accidents on Pennsylvania roadways. Also by their reports and statistics, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation also reported that each year 3,000 people across the Keystone State are injured as a result of car and truck crashes.
You may be compensated for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Expenses associated with durable medical equipment, home health care and other expenses necessitated by your accident
Courts in Pennsylvania have routinely held that damages are meant to compensate an injured person to the full extent of their injuries. For those who have been injured in an accident with a truck or tractor-trailer, this means that the court will seek to ensure that you receive the full amount of your damages. However, just because this is the goal of the court does not mean that you shouldn’t pursue your claim to the fullest extent. Furthermore, large trucking companies will bring teams of attorneys to challenge your claim.
Injured in a Truck Accident on Interstate 83 in Pennsylvania and Seeking a Pennsylvania Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you have been involved in a serious commercial truck accident with an 18-wheeler or other commercial truck, you may be entitled to damages. Commercial trucks large size and significant weight often mean that the injuries inflicted are significantly worse than those typically suffered in other accidents. The truck accident injury lawyers of Reiff & Bily’s The Truck Accident Team may be able to fight for you. To schedule a free and confidential consultation call (800) 896-6173 or contact us online today.