The Baltimore Beltway is a very busy and traveled road that surrounds Baltimore. As the first beltway in the United States, this road can range from two to six lanes. That being said, tractor-trailers will often go on and off this road as they attempt to deliver their cargo to Baltimore and to the suburbs. Even if you are a cautious driver you may be involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer for reasons beyond your control. However, if you are involved in an accident it is likely that there are going to be significant and serious property and personal injuries.
If you needed emergency surgery, were helicoptered out, suffered broken bones, lost consciousness—if a family member suffered wrongful death—these are the kinds of cases we take on and win.
Why do accidents happen on the Baltimore Beltway?
On February 19, 2016, a tractor-trailer truck crashed through a median and overturned between Connecticut Avenue and Route 355 before 5 a.m. and shut down the entire road. The driver was killed in the crash. In the crash, the cab detached from the frame of the truck and crashed through the median causing the driver to be ejected from the cab. All lanes were closed as crews tried to clean the cargo and the debris. The events that led to crashes included:
- Distracted Driving – drivers are constantly being distracted from what is in front of them by other stimuli. Cell phones have posed a major problem in the past few years and have caused thousands of accidents across the country.
- Loss of control – A fully loaded tractor-trailer can weigh close to 20,000 pounds. This means that when there is a sudden shift in traffic or even if a driver is not paying careful attention, they can lose control of their vehicle.
- Poor road conditions – weather and road conditions can cause even the most experienced driver to be in an accident. Factors such as rain, snow, ice, wind, and time of day can all lead to a driver losing control over their tractor-trailer and being in an accident.
In addition, accidents happen on the Baltimore Beltway because.
- Another motor vehicle encroaching on the truck ‘s lane
- Poor road conditions due to poor road maintenance or weather
- Traveling too fast for road conditions
- Shifting cargo
- Lane drifting – either truck or passenger vehicle
- Driving off the edge of the road
- Improper truck maneuvering during events (turns and passing through intersections)
- Coming upon a stopped vehicle
- Finding objects on the highway
- Driver fatigue
An accident is often the result of multiple factors that all come together in an instant. There are also hundreds of other reasons that a tractor-trailer may be involved in an accident.
Truck Driver Negligence
Most accidents are the result of one or more driver being negligent, and negligence is often the basis of any personal injury suit. There are many reasons a truck driver may be considered negligent such as if a truck driver exceeds their work limits, or if they otherwise drive in a dangerous and hazardous manner which goes against the rules of the road. If they are found to be negligent then they can consequently be held liable for the damages in a resulting accident. For a trucker to be considered negligent, it should be demonstrable that the trucker:
- Was obligated to take a reasonable degree of care on the road.
- Did not take such reasonable care, thereby breaching their professional duty.
- Consequently caused damages to the victim due to the breach of duty.
As stated above, negligence is often the basis for many personal injury cases and is the reason why a person who has been injured in a car accident may be able to recover damages.
Baltimore Beltway Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been in a commercial trucking accident on the Baltimore Beltway, the truck accident attorneys of Reiff & Bily’s The Truck Accident Team can fight for you. To schedule a free and confidential consultation to discuss whether you are entitled to damages for your injuries call (800) 896-6173 or contact us online today.