What Happens if I Was Injured in Pennsylvania but Live in Another State?

Table of Contents

    Being involved in an accident is an event that can change a person’s life in more ways than one. This experience can become even more complicated if you happen to have an accident in a state that you do not reside in. If you or a family member was injured in a car crash or other type of accident that occurred in another state, contact an experienced Philadelphia personal injury lawyer today. The Reiff Law Firm understands how a serious accident can negatively affect your life, and we are here for you. Our firm is here to explain what happens if you were injured in Pennsylvania but reside in another state.

    How to Handle an Out of State Personal Injury Accident in PA

    The last scenario any person wants to deal with is a serious injury that occurs while traveling for leisure or business. However, you should also be prepared to handle a car accident or any other type of accident that may occur while you are away from home. If you are traveling and get injured in an airbnb then you may want to consider seeking an airbnb rental injury lawyer. The following is a list of steps to take if you are injured in an out of state accident.

    Seek Medical Attention

    Whether you were injured in a car accident or a slip and fall, you should seek medical attention for your injuries. Failure to call paramedics or visit an emergency room can make it difficult to determine the full extent of your injuries.

    Some people may believe that if they escape an accident without broken bones or any injuries that could hinder them, they should simply avoid being seen by a doctor. However, it is possible to suffer an injury that may not exhibit symptoms for a few days to a few weeks.

    Additionally, receiving medical attention will make it easier for you to document your injuries if you decide to pursue legal action.

    Document Any Evidence

    Documenting evidence of your accident will greatly assist your attorney if you decide to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. For example, if you suffer a slip and fall at a local establishment in a different state, you will want to know information like who owns the establishment.

    The type of accident that you are involved in will also dictate the type of evidence that you should gather for a potential case. This means if you were injured in a car accident, you should not only request information about the negligent driver, but you should also know about any adverse weather that may have played a role in the accident.

    While an experienced attorney can help you gather additional evidence for your claim, knowing certain details will make your case easier to litigate.

    You should also be aware of where the accident occurred. A car accident that occurs in a certain county should not be litigated in a different county that has no ties to the accident. Knowing which county your accident occurred will make it easier for an attorney to file your case with the appropriate court.

    Find an Attorney Licensed in that State

    If you want to file a lawsuit for an accident that occurred in a different state, there are multiple choices that you will have to consider. One choice is whether you would like to retain an attorney that operates in the state where you were injured. While an attorney in the state where the accident occurred would be more familiar with intricate laws regarding your case, you may be forced to handle the case remotely depending on your proximity to the state in question. If you choose to handle your case remotely, you may still have to travel to the state again if your case goes to trial.

    Another possibility is finding an attorney that is licensed to work in your state and the state where you were injured. This would make it easier for you to discuss your case with your lawyer.

    It is also important to note that your accident claim will be subject to the laws of the state where you were injured. This could affect your case in a number of ways. For example, if the state where you injured has a shorter statute of limitations than the state where you reside, you will have less time to file your case with the court.

    Consult with an Experienced Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney for Your Out of State Claim

    If you or a family member was the victim of an accident, contact an experienced Allentown personal injury attorney as soon as possible. At the Reiff Law Firm, our attorneys possess decades of legal experience serving our clients, and we would be honored to use our knowledge to represent you. You do not have to fight your legal battles alone. To schedule a free case evaluation, contact the Reiff Law Firm at (215) 709-6940, or contact us online.

    Our Offices

    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd #501
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Get Directions

    Get a Free Case Review

    "*" indicates required fields

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.