How Do You Get the Police Report For a Car Accident on I-76?
Table of Contents

    How Do You Get the Police Report For a Car Accident on I-76?

    Anyone who drives through or around the Philadelphia area is familiar with I-76, or the Schuylkill Expressway. The winding stretch of road, ranging from two to eight lanes, was built through rugged terrain between 1949 and 1959, well before the introduction of the Interstate Highway System. Therefore, many sections of the road were not built to contemporary standards. The highway’s narrow lanes, small shoulders, and dramatically short entrances and exits inspired the phrase “merge or die.” Add in congested traffic conditions and seemingly constant construction, and you have a recipe for car accidents.

    If you were involved in an accident on this stretch of road, where you would obtain an accident report depends on the crash location. I-76 begins in New Jersey, runs through Philadelphia, and continues to Ohio. If the accident occurred in the suburbs surrounding Philadelphia, you would contact the Pennsylvania State Police. For collisions that happen in Philadelphia, you would have to contact the Philadelphia Department of Records. In New Jersey, you need to contact the county police where the crash occurred.

    While car accident cases are common, they are not always easy. A successful injury claim starts with a strong foundation of facts and information. Much of this information could be gleaned from a police accident report. Our Philadelphia car accident lawyers know what it takes to build a successful case to help an accident victim receive the compensation they deserve. Call the Reiff Law Firm at (215) 709-6940 to discuss your legal options.

    Obtaining an Accident Report From Pennsylvania

    The quickest and most efficient way to obtain a police report if your accident occurred on I-76 in Pennsylvania but outside of Philadelphia is to visit Pennsylvania’s online crash report website.

    If the responding officer gave you an incident number at the time of the accident, you could use it to search the database. Accident victims who do not have an incident number could search for their report using their name, the date of the accident, or other information to verify the accident.

    After you have located the report related to your accident, you can purchase a copy online. To do so, you must make a payment of $22 with a credit or debit card. After your order has been processed, the police report will be emailed to you.

    You could also request a copy of your accident report through the mail. To do so, you must fill out and mail in the Application to Obtain Copy of Police Crash Report (Form SP7-0015). You will need the date and time of the incident, the location, your name, the incident number (if you have it), and other information to complete the form.

    Once you have completed the application, mail it and a certified check or money order in the amount of $22 and payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania” to:

    • Attention: Crash Report Unit
    • 1800 Elmerton Avenue
    • Harrisburg, PA 17110

    After your application has been processed, the accident report will be mailed to you.

    Obtaining a Philadelphia Accident Report

    If your accident occurred on a section of I-76 that travels through Philadelphia, you will have to request your report from the Philadelphia Department of Records.

    First, you must complete an Accident Report Application. To do so, you will need the location of the accident, the date it occurred, your name, and your driver’s license number. Additionally, you will need the Philadelphia Code and District Number, which can be obtained by calling the police district where your accident happened. In addition to the application, you will have to complete and attach an affidavit.

    Once completed, you should mail the application and affidavit to:

    • Department of Records
    • Traffic Accident Reports
    • City Hall, Room 170
    • Philadelphia, PA 19107

    You should also include a money order or certified check for $25 made payable to “City of Philadelphia.” To expedite the process, you could include a stamped self-address envelope. If the crash was serious, photographs might be in the report as well. Each photograph costs $27.

    If you need a copy of the police accident report faster, you could request a copy by visiting the Department of Records, located in City Hall, Room 170. The office is open from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

    If you were not at fault and become a client of our firm, we can also request a copy of the accident report.

    Obtaining an Accident Report in New Jersey

    If your accident occurred on the stretch of I-76 that travels through New Jersey, you will have to contact the police department of the city or county where the accident occurred. Some accident reports are available at If you were not at fault and become a client of our firm, we can also request a copy of the accident report.

    Who Can Request an Accident Report?

    Only certain people or entities have the right to request an accident report. Individuals involved in the crash are permitted to request a report. This includes drivers, passengers, or pedestrians that might have been injured. If any of these individuals have legal representation, their lawyer could request a report. Insurance companies are also allowed to receive a copy of an accident report, along with certain government agencies. If you cannot obtain a report, our Philadelphia personal injury lawyers could do so for you.

    Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Those Injured in I-76 Accidents

    I-76 deserves its reputation as a dangerous road. This treacherous highway has seen more than its fair share of serious and fatal accidents. If you or a loved one was harmed in an accident along I-76, our experienced West Chester car accident attorneys want to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. In many cases, the first step in this fight is obtaining a copy of the police accident report. To start building your injury case, call the Reiff Law Firm at (215) 709-6940.

    Our Offices

    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd #501
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Get Directions

    Get a Free Case Review

    "*" indicates required fields

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.