Philadelphia Attorney for Victims of Drunk Drivers

Table of Contents

    DUI victims deserve substantial compensation for their accidents, and personal injury attorneys like those at The Reiff Law Firm are willing to fight for the victim to help them recover the compensation they need. Unfortunately, around 28 people die every day because of DUI accidents, according to Center for Disease Control statistics. For the surviving family of these victims, substantial compensation may be available.

    If you were injured in a DUI-related accident or you lost a loved one to a drunk driving accident, talk to an attorney today. You might be entitled to compensation for the medical expenses, any work you missed due to your injuries, pain and suffering, or compensation for the death of a loved one. The Philadelphia car accident attorneys at The Reiff Law Firm may be able to take your case, and fight for the compensation you deserve.

    Lawsuits for Pennsylvania DUI Victims

    Like any accident that causes personal injury, you might be entitled to substantial compensation if you were injured in a car accident or truck accident caused by a drunk or drugged driver. Usually, when you are injured in a car accident, you need to prove four elements in case, which make up a lawsuit based on “negligence”:

    1. The person responsible owed you a duty;
    2. They breached that duty;
    3. The breach caused your injuries; and
    4. You have injuries a court can compensate.

    For a car accident, the duty would generally be a duty to drive reasonably and avoid causing an accident. When someone drunk or high gets behind the wheel, they clearly violate that duty to drive safely.

    Especially since there are laws in Pennsylvania that criminalize driving under the influence, drunk and drugged driving clearly constitute a breach of duty. Since PA’s DUI laws are designed to protect other drivers, and the drunk driver violated those rules, this can be used to show “negligence per se.” This makes it easier for your lawyer to prove the duty and breach elements for your case.

    Pennsylvania’s DUI laws make it a crime for people to drive in many situations. First, most people know the “legal limit” to be .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC), and driving with more alcohol in your system than this limit is illegal. PA’s laws even have extra punishments for BACs over .10% and over .16%, as well as punishments for drug DUIs. What many people do not know is that a driver can still be charged with DUI if they are unable to drive safely because of alcohol, even if their BAC is under .08%. Causing an accident would likely count as being “unsafe” to drive.

    If the driver who caused your accident and your injuries is arrested and convicted for DUI, that might help your personal injury case. Always report an accident involving injury to the police, especially if you suspect the other driver to be intoxicated. Their criminal case does not block you from suing them for injuries.

    Compensation for Drunk Driving Victims

    If the police charge the other driver with a DUI crime, you might get some compensation for your injuries through the criminal justice system. As part of their case, the driver who harmed you might be required to pay you restitution for your injuries. There might also be local funds for DUI victims.

    In addition, the other driver’s insurance and your own insurance might help pay for injuries. Any injuries in a car accident should be covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance, including DUI accident injuries. Your own insurance might also be able to cover some of the injuries if you have limited tort car insurance.

    If the driver who harmed you in the DUI accident was served at a bar or restaurant, you might be able to seek compensation from the bar or restaurant that overserved the driver. In Pennsylvania, there is a type of lawsuit authorized under the Dram Shop Act – named after a “dram,” a small serving of alcohol. This law makes it illegal to serve alcohol to a minor or a “visibly intoxicated person.” This law can put the bar, restaurant, or other liquor-licensed shop at risk of losing their liquor license, but it can also lead to civil liability.

    This means that when you sue the driver for injury, you might be able to also sue the establishment that served them alcohol and recover compensation from them as well. To understand which compensation options are available to you, talk to an attorney about your case.

    Philadelphia Car Accident Injury Attorneys

    The lawyers at The Reiff Law Firm fight to help injured Pennsylvanians get the compensation they need for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you or a loved one was the victim of a DUI accident, talk to a lawyer about your potential options for compensation. For strategic representation and a free, confidential consultation on your DUI injury case, call (215) 709-6940 today.

    personal injury lawyer

    ...without them I would have been lost.

    I can’t say enough great things about the Attorneys at the Reiff Law Firm. They made me feel at ease when I was going through a very difficult time in my life. Never being in a situation like this I was so unsure of where to start and how to go about the process. Justin gave me options where I thought I had none and explained everything in a way that I could understand. Justin and the team helped me arrange all of the treatment and therapy that I needed, without them I would have been lost. My attorney John went to bat for me like no one else could have, his knowledge and professionalism is unmatched. If anyone is ever in need of a team of attorneys the Reiff Law Firm is my ONLY recommendation.

    personal injury lawyer

    ...what started as a small settlement ended $100, 000 more than expected.

    I greatly appreciate the care and compassion the Reiff Law Firm has given to my family at a very difficult time. They left no stone unturned in their investigation and what started as a small settlement ended $100, 000 more than expected. They did not give up and treated us like family.

    personal injury lawyer

    I’m very comfortable to say there’s no better in the city.

    Before meeting with Jeffrey Reiff and Bob Szostak from the Reiff law firm I’ve consulted with a few other injury attorneys in the Philadelphia region. Difference was, these guys know their stuff! I was absolutely blown away by how compassionate and welcome this law firm makes you feel. Once signed with them I never went a single week without staying in the loop with the progress and updates these guys have on your case. Working with them for some time turned what was an injury case, into a family! From calls and meetings, to just calling in to say “hi how’s everything going” I’ve never felt like a beat was skipped. I’d recommended the Reiff law firm 100%! I’m very comfortable to say there’s no better in the city. The awards they’ve earned over the years speaks for itself! I can never thank the Reiff law firm and Bob Szostak enough for everything they’ve done, their professionalism, compassion and all of their knowledge and experience! Highly rated! Best in the city! I look forward continuing our relationship in the future. Thanks again My Reiff family!

    personal injury lawyer

    ...I want to say that the Reiff Law Firm changed my entire life with handling of my legal case.

    As a former client, I want to say that the Reiff Law Firm changed my entire life with handling of my legal case. I was in a very serious automobile accident with severe injuries to neck and back areas. I contacted the law firm and asked what to do with the medical bills and how do I get the correct representation against the individual who rear-ended my car. In short, the firm took complete control of the case contacting my insurance company and asking for all the medical bills and legal matters be sent directly to them. I was able to get treatment from my doctor without worrying about the legal stuff. Furthermore, two years later the case was settled for a substantial amount of money. My life was much better due to the firm handling of my case. My attorneys at Reiff Law Firm are absolutely the best and I have recommended to my family friends. Thanks Reiff Law Firm.

    personal injury lawyer

    What started out as a time for me that included a lot of doubt, questions and hopelessness has turned into one of a hopeful future.

    I highly recommend the team at the Reiff Law Firm. Both Jeff and Robert were there to guide me through a very difficult time. What started out as a time for me that included a lot of doubt, questions and hopelessness has turned into one of a hopeful future. The team at the Reiff Law Firm made me feel at ease and I had no doubts trusting them with various concerns. They kept me informed every step of the way without making me feel overwhelmed or anxious. Don't hesitate to contact them for your legal needs - especially if you want a team that has the utmost concern and compassion for their clients.

    personal injury lawyer


    I was referred to the Reiff Law Firm by a friend who had previously been a client of the firm. My friend told me that the Reiff Firm had done an incredible job handling his case and treated him like family. My friend's recommendation was spot on. I am going to miss them now that my case is over. Attorney Reiff and Attorney Toczydlowski are excellent attorneys. They really care. They got me an INCREDIBLE RESULT. Most importantly they were there for me during some extremely dark and difficult times in my life. I highly recommend the Reiff Law Firm to anyone seeking the very best legal representation for injuries they suffered in an accident.

    Verdicts & Settlements

    $13 Million

    Auto Defect/Product Liability

    Read More
    $8 Million

    Auto Defect/Product Liability

    Read More

    Our Offices

    1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd #501
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Get Directions

    Get a Free Case Review

    "*" indicates required fields

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.