Commercial trucks and tractor-trailers are fixtures on the road, however, they are significantly larger and heavier than a standard passenger vehicle. When trucks are involved in an accident they can cause catastrophic injuries or even death. If you or someone you love has been involved in a truck accident, we can help.
Reiff Law Firm’s The Truck Accident Team has the resources and knowledge to help you recover compensation for your injuries as well as property damage. We know that large trucking companies can use intimidation tactics to attempt to avoid paying for their drivers’ negligence. We have the experience and knowledge to hold these large companies responsible for their driver’s carelessness. To schedule a private, no-cost evaluation, call our attorneys at (215) 709-6940 or contact us online.
About new York State Route 25
Route 25, which is also known as the Jericho Turnpike, spans the length of Staten Island from Jericho located in Nassau County to Orient point, on the eastern End of Long Island. This road has many names and is known as Main Street in both Smithtown and Riverhead, as well as Middle Country Road in the eastern section of Suffolk County, and as Main Road in North Fork.
A study conducted from 1998 through 2002 found that the Jericho Turnpike was one of the most dangerous roads in New York with over 78 deaths.
Causes of Accidents on the Jericho Turnpike
Accidents are unfortunate events that come along with driving on the road. While drivers can safeguard themselves when on the road by maintaining attention and not engaging in dangerous driving behaviors, sometimes accidents are unavoidable. Route 25 in New York is a major road on Staten Island that is used by thousands of people every day. However, the Jericho Turnpike has several areas which pose potential problems for drivers on the road.
- Dangerous intersections – Intersections are always an area where a driver should proceed with caution. Because Route 25 bisects many residential areas as well as major thoroughfares, there are many intersections that can pose a risk to motorists. Tractor-trailers are particularly susceptible to accidents in intersections because of large blind spots, large turning radii, and driver error. The New York Department of Transportation notes that one of the most dangerous stretches of this road is the eleven-and-a-half-mile stretch from Centereach to Ridge, where numerous intersections have lead to accidents.
- Shifting traffic patterns – The Jericho Turnpike shifts from a four-lane highway to a small two lane road at certain points. This means that not only will there be drivers attempting to merge into smaller areas, but also that any driver who swerves while on the smaller sections of this road can potentially cause an accident.
In addition, truck accidents can happen on Route 25/the Jericho Turnpike as a result of:
- Truck driver fatigue or inattention
- Speeding, tailgating or traffic violations
- Crossing the center line or changing lanes
- Drug or alcohol impairment
- Poor vehicle maintenance (bald tires, worn brakes)
- Overweight or unsecured loads
- Poor road conditions or obstructed views
- A third driver whose actions caused the trucker to veer
Whenever there is an accident on the road that can be attributed to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Every truck driver owes the other drivers on the road a duty to drive in a professional manner, however, all too often accidents can be attributed to a truck driver not operating their vehicle in a manner fitting the responsibility they have to other motorists.
Common Injuries on Route 25/the Jericho Turnpike
Because trucks weigh thousands of pounds more than the standard car or SUV, when there is an accident involving a tractor-trailer the resulting injuries are more likely to be significant or catastrophic. Some of the most common injuries that stem from truck accidents include:
- Broken bones – Broken bones and fractures are extremely common when there is a truck or other large vehicle involved. Because of the amount of force that goes into a truck accident, broken bones are not only common but they are usually severe.
- Cuts or lacerations – Cuts and lacerations are also a common injury when there is a tractor-trailer involved in an accident. These injuries can be relatively minor, however, in many instances, they can require extensive medical intervention.
- Internal injuries – The internal organs are generally protected from injury by our bones and overall body structures, however, there is a limit to the amount of protection that the ribs and other bones can provide. Some of the most common internal injuries include internal bleeding and injury to the bladder, kidneys, liver, spleen, and pancreas. Because of the amount of force behind the typical truck accident not only are internal injuries common but they often result in lengthy medical procedures and recuperation times.
- Head and neck injuries – Head and neck injuries are some of the most devastating injuries that accompany truck accidents. A head injury can range in severity from a minor concussion to a medical emergency or even a life-threatening injury. The brain is one of the slowest healing organs in the body, and any injury to this delicate organ can result in severe lifestyle changes and permanent injuries.
In 2014, there were over 11,000 accidents involving large trucks on New York roads, as estimated by the New York Department of Transportation. Out of the nearly 3,500 drivers who were injured, most of the injuries were sustained by drivers of cars rather than the truck drivers. Still, many of these accidents and injuries were deemed severe. In the event that you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, we can assist you in filing a personal injury claim against all those who may be liable.
Contact Our New York State Route 25 Truck Accident Attorneys
Our attorneys will carefully research all the legally responsible parties and investigate their insurance policies and coverage to ensure that the injured parties receive the maximum amount of compensation they are entitled to. The attorneys of Reiff Law Firm’s The Truck Accident Team have over 100 combined years of award-winning experience in representing innocent victims who were catastrophically injured or killed in truck accidents. To schedule a private, no-cost evaluation, call our law offices at (215) 709-6940 or contact us online.