Large commercial vehicles and trucks are a constant fixture on New Jersey roadways and serve an important and instrumental part of our economy. Commercial vehicles and tractor-trailers deliver many of the goods and products that we know and enjoy. However, while these vehicles serve an important function in society, they also pose a significant danger to other drivers on the road.
When a 3,000-pound passenger car collides with an 80,000-pound 18-wheeler truck, tragedy often occurs. People in cars can be killed in truck accidents, while the truck driver may suffer only minor injuries. On average, over 3,000 people lose their lives in trucking accidents every year in the United States and an additional 70,000 are injured.
At The Reiff Law Firm, we have successfully taken on and defeated many powerful opponents in negotiations and litigation over the past several decades. Our New Jersey truck accident lawyers are impeccably prepared to enlist the right expert resources, thoroughly investigate what caused your accident with a delivery truck or other commercial vehicle, and take aggressive action targeting the full financial compensation you need. Contact us now for a free, no-risk review of your case.
Common Types of Truck Accidents in New Jersey
Most New Jersey truck accidents can be divided into one of three separate categories: the first category involves when a truck driver or another commercial driver is negligent. The second category that leads to truck accidents results from poor vehicle maintenance. Finally, because of their large size and inability to move in and out of traffic like a non-commercial vehicle truck drivers are often unable to maneuver out of the way of accidents.
Some of the most common types of NJ trucking crashes that we have handled include:
- Rollover Accidents – Tractor-trailers, in particular, are susceptible to rolling over for a variety of reasons, such as high winds or aggressive changes in directions. When a tractor rolls over it can often cause serious injuries to other drivers on the road whose cars are either crushed by the tractor trailer or because they then hit the trailer. Rollover accidents are severe accidents that involve the truck literally rolling over.
- Rear-End Collisions – Rear end collisions are some of the most common injuries for all vehicles, however when you consider that a fully loaded tractor-trailer can weigh in excess of 80,000 pounds then anytime there is a rear end collision there is a greater likelihood that an accident is going to be severe.
- Truck Driver DUI – You are probably well aware that it is illegal to drink while you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. In addition to the laws set for regular passenger vehicles, the law imposes strict alcohol and drug regulations for truck drivers. Unfortunately, truck drivers are people and sometimes drink and drive. While any accident that occurs because a person was driving under the influence is devastating, the effects of driving an 80,000-pound vehicle and drinking can result in even more severe consequences.
If You Have Been Injured in an Accident with a Truck in New Jersey
Anytime there is an accident and an injury that results from that accident you are most likely going to incur some expenses that you were not planning for. In the event that you have been injured in an accident involving a tractor-trailer then you may be entitled to receive the following types of compensation to cover your losses
- Lost wages and future earnings;
- Medical and funeral expenses;
- Pain and suffering;
- Grief and sorrow;
- Mental anguish;
- Loss of companionship; and
- Loss of quality of life.
Accidents can greatly change your life and your ability to work, that is why the law will generally provide a person who has been injured with enough compensation so that they are fully compensated for their injuries. However, in order for you to receive compensation, you will need to be able to prove that you incurred these expenses.
Liability of Trucking Companies and Commercial Vehicle Operators in NJ
There are a number of negligent acts that trucking companies employ to cut corners in an effort to turn a higher profit. A high percentage of serious trucking and other commercial vehicle accidents are caused by driver fatigue, drunk driving, operating a vehicle while under the influence of controlled substances, texting or chatting on a cell phone while driving, sleep apnea, improper vehicle maintenance, defective product design, avoidance of safety regulations and other forms of negligence. In addition to going the distance to demonstrate the full impact and costs of your injuries or losses, our lawyers are dedicated to exposing and leveraging factors such as:
- Falsified inspection certificates and other indicators of failure to keep vehicles in road-worthy condition — including operation with worn tires, faulty brakes, or other dangerous parts.
- Truck driver fatigue, intoxication or physical problems such as sleep apnea that could have been detected through proper background checks
Trucking companies and other corporations operating fleets of commercial vehicles all too often put profit above public safety. Shortcuts and corruption put innocent people at risk every day, and our legal team is devoted to taking the strongest available action for accident victims who often must deal with life-changing head and brain, spinal cord, neck, back and limb injuries.
Trucking companies carry large insurance policies and their adjusters are promoted based on how little they pay to victims of trucking accidents. Our experienced attorneys will protect you and deal with all the details and complexities involved in your wrongful death case. The trucking company has a vested interest in denying your claim or settling for as little as possible. We will fight so that you are fairly compensated for all of your losses.
For Skilled Legal Help, Contact Our New Jersey Truck Accident Attorneys
If you or a family member has suffered a catastrophic injury in an accident involving a commercial vehicle such as an 18-wheeler or delivery truck, please call or e-mail our renowned New Jersey truck accident law firm today. We offer genuine compassion and put your physical and personal recovery first, while doing everything possible to obtain compensation that can substantially improve your future.