Commercial drivers and commercial vehicles are governed by multiple local, state and Federal laws, however, no matter how many safety precautions are taken they pose a threat when they are on the road. Their size, maneuverability and their drivers pose a risk to everyone is on the road with them.
If a truck accident has caused you or a family member serious injury — or resulted in a tragic, unexpected death — our attorneys and professional support team are here to help. You more than likely have many questions about how to proceed.
Reasons Truck Accidents happen on U.S Route 29 in Howard County Maryland
Accidents are usually the result of many factors that all come together in a single instant. However, there are certain factors that can directly contribute or can cause a truck accident. In those cases, these factors may cause a tractor-trailer to collide with your vehicle injuring you or your family.
- Truck driver fatigue – There are several state and federal laws that dictate how long a truck driver can drive without taking an extended break. However, truck drivers are notoriously overworked and are often running on tight deadlines. Truck driver fatigue is a major source of accidents on the road and may lead to a truck striking your car.
- Road rage or aggressive driving – Commercial vehicle drivers are people too, and they are subject to getting angry. In addition, many cars will drive recklessly around tractor-trailers when they become annoyed with their speed or how they are driving. Whenever a driver becomes agitated on the road this can lead to careless driving and can lead to an accident.
- Improper cargo securement – Cargo that is not properly secured can lead to a tractor-trailer being involved in an accident. Improperly secured cargo is prone to shifting while the vehicle is in motion and can lead to cargo spills or an overturned vehicle.
- Speeding – Recently, the State Highway Administration decided to raise the speed limit from 65 mph to 70 mph on two segments of the highway that stretch from Baltimore’s western suburbs to the Pennsylvania line in Washington County. This change can pose some major problems for drivers. Tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles often weigh thousands of pounds more than a standard passenger vehicle, and because of this, it takes them longer to come to a complete stop. When you take this in conjunction with higher speeds it will take tractor-trailers even longer to bring their vehicles to a complete stop.
Each and every accident is unique. Sometimes a single factor will result in an accident. However, more often than not, multiple reasons combine that result in a truck accident
Injuries on U.S Route 29 in Maryland can lead to Money Compensation
After an accident, you may have a moment when you think how are you going to pay for all of the medical bills, the insurance costs, and recover for the time that you missed from work as a result of your accident. Generally, people are not looking to become rich from an accident; they merely want to recover the things that they lost. In those cases, the law generally agrees and will attempt to put you back in the place and condition you were before the accident. Your losses may include:
- Medical expenses – Going to the doctors or seeking medical attention can, unfortunately, be expensive. If you have to go to the hospital you may receive a bill for tens of thousands of dollars or even more depending on how long you had to stay in the hospital and what sort of treatment you needed.
- Lost wages and future earnings – Being in an accident often means being out of work. This is particularly true when there is a severe accident that leaves you in the hospital or when you have sustained an injury that makes it impossible or difficult to work. In those cases, you are entitled to recover for lost wages for days that you missed and potentially for any future earnings.
- Pain and suffering – In certain cases, you may be able to recover for pain and suffering. In the event that your life is drastically changed and you are no longer able to enjoy the things that you once did, then you may be able to recover for pain and suffering.
Who Is Responsible for a Truck Accident?
Accidents are usually the result of several factors and several different people. When you have been involved in an accident and have sustained injuries and damages you need to know who can be held liable. However, this can be more difficult than you might imagine. Often truck drivers work for a large company, or they may be an independent contractor in those cases it can make determining liability a nightmare, and that is why we suggest hiring an experienced truck accident attorney if you have been involved in a truck accident on U.S Route 29 in Maryland.
It is important that you determine who you should file your case against so that you may be able to recover the full amount of damages.
Involved in a Truck Accident in Howard County? trust a Truck accident Lawyer to Fight for you
Contact an aggressive and strategic truck accident personal injury lawyer from Reiff Law Firm’s Truck Accident Team today by calling (215) 246-9000 today. We offer free and confidential consultations.