While statistics show that truck drivers generally are much more careful on the road than automobile drivers, large truck crashes still accounted for a large amount of accident-related deaths. Being in any kind of car accident can have short term, long term, and life-altering consequences. A commercial truck accident can be much more catastrophic than an accident between two passenger vehicles. Because of the size and their weight of the trucks anytime you are in an accident with one, the damages can be severe. Long-term consequences may be more severe and can include permanent physical damage, or even extended time away from work. A car accident is never a pleasant experience, particularly when it has life-altering consequences. You may have a physical impairment that affects your ability to work or drive.
While driving through the Garden State you may come across one of the most traveled roads in the State, the Garden State Parkway. Because of the amount of people who take this road daily, it is an inevitable fact that accidents happen. If you have been injured in a car accident involving a truck, do not wait to contact a skilled trucking attorney.
Information About the Garden State Parkway
The Garden State Parkway (GSP) is a 172.4-mile (277-km) limited-access toll parkway that stretches the length of New Jersey. from the New York line at Montvale to Cape May at the state’s southernmost tip. Its name refers to New Jersey’s nickname, the “Garden State.” Most New Jerseyans refer to it as simply “the Parkway” or “the Garden State”. While most of the Garden State Parkway has a 65-mile per hour speed limit, there are portions of the parkway that have a speed limit of 55 miles per hour. The Garden State Parkway is a toll road and collects on average a total of 400 million in toll revenue each year. It is obvious that because of the high revenue that the Garden State Parkway is a heavily traveled road.
Why Do Serious Truck Accidents Occur?
The reasons why accidents that involve commercial trucks on any highway are numerous, but on the Garden State Parkway some of these problems can be amplified. These accidents can probably be attributed to the significant variation in types of vehicle traffic. The road is used heavily by both interstate truck traffic and by local commuters. Furthermore, the congestion and traffic conditions present on the roadway can also contribute to the significantly higher than average number of accidents on the road.
There are many other reasons why commercial truck accidents become unavoidable. These reasons can include:
- Changing traffic conditions – Stop-and-go traffic is difficult to drive in and the changing conditions require extreme alertness. Drivers who fail to maintain a high level of concentration are likely to cause a commercial vehicle accident.
- Poor weather conditions – Heavy rainfall and other severe storms can adversely affect driving conditions. Poor weather can increase stopping distances and decrease visibility and the time a driver has to react.
- Fatigued truck driver – Hours of service rules imposed by FMCSA limit the amount of time a truck driver can be on duty consecutively and sets other limits on his or her ability to drive. These limits are set because fatigued driving can reduce reaction times and lead to poo decision-making.
- Intoxicated driving – Alcohol, illegal drugs, and some prescription drugs can also lead to increased reaction times and poor decision-making. Driving under the influence significantly increases accident risk for all drivers.
- Inexperienced CDL driver — While training and behind the wheel experience is required for CDL drivers, operators who are new to the profession may still lack the confidence and poise to react appropriately in difficult situations or may misjudge the circumstances.
- Improper maintenance – A freight truck with mechanical issues, steering problems, or worn-down tires significantly increases the risk of a loss of vehicle control and an accident.
In many accidents, more than one factor combines to cause the wreck. The list above only covers some of the more common factors associated with serious vehicle accidents. In addition, some of the roads in New Jersey have been cited for being in overly crowded areas, underfunded, and left in states of disrepair. Unfortunately, when these accidents do occur, they often cause serious injuries including broken bones, TBIs, and fatal injuries.
Types of Injuries Produced by Truck Accidents on the Garden State Parkway
Each and every car accident is the result of a unique combination of speeds, vehicles, drivers, road conditions, weather conditions and more. While it is impossible to predict the exact nature and severity of injuries an accident will produce, some injuries are more likely to occur than others. Some of the most common injuries that drivers experience in a car accident include:
- Traumatic brain injury – A traumatic Brain injury or TBI is potentially one of the most devastating injuries possible. These types of injuries have become more prevalent and better diagnosed as modern science and medicine have gained a better understanding of the human brain. Injuries to the brain can affect or impair the functioning of all other bodily systems and functions. A traumatic brain injury can make the things you used to do difficult or impossible to accomplish. They can also lead to problems with memory, focus, attention, and other skills that allow you to be productive at work or at home. Furthermore, they can cause communication difficulties and impair the processing of information.
- Spinal column injuries – Injuries to the spinal column, vertebrae, or spinal discs can cause significant pain and suffering. Others may lose sensation in their extremities while some may even be paralyzed due to damage to the spine.
- Whiplash – The most common injury, whiplash can cause severe nausea or confusion. Others may report severe neck or back pain. In any case, a whiplash injury is one that is caused by the rapidly cycling forces of acceleration and deceleration. These forces cause shearing and tearing of nerve and muscle tissue resulting in whiplash signs and symptoms
- Broken bones – Car accidents can produce simple or complex fractures. In general, higher speeds are typically more likely to produce broken bones.
Unfortunately, these injuries merely represent those that are most common. Many other injuries can and do occur as the result of drier negligence, carelessness, and recklessness.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer If You Were Injured on the Garden State Parkway
If you have been seriously injured by an unsafe truck or a careless or distracted commercial driver, you may have suffered serious injuries requiring substantial medical care and treatment. When facing these costs, it can be essential to hold the responsible party accountable for your injuries, rehabilitation costs, and other damages. To speak to one of the aggressive and determined lawyers of Reiff & Bily, call 800-896-6173 today or contact us online.