Jeff Saltzman, a famed music producer, once said, “If you have ever wondered if you’re in Hell, then you are experiencing a rather normal spiritual quandary that you share with many. If, however, you know without the shadow of a doubt that you are in Hell, then you must be on the Cross Bronx Expressway”
While those drivers who have never been on the Cross Bronx Expressway may think this statement is the embellished moaning of one person, those who take this road every day will tell you that describing the Cross Bronx Expressway as a hellish road is a very accurate summation.
This 8.3-mile-long road runs through the heart of some of the most heavily populated areas in the country and connects the South Bronx to Upper Manhattan and to the George Washington Bridge. It is estimated that upwards of 175,000 vehicles use part of this route every day – making the Cross Bronx expressway one of busiest roads in the country.
The sheer number of people that use this road makes this road difficult for all drivers to navigate, and unfortunately, there are repeatedly accidents on this road. Just recently, a tanker truck and another truck were involved in an accident accident at Exit 2B/Webster Avenue on the Cross Bronx Expressway. This caused traffic to be backed up for several miles all the way past the New Jersey George Washington Bridge tolls. However, this accident is not an isolated incident, but rather an example of a growing problem of truck accidents on the Cross Bronx Expressway. According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles’ most recent statistics, the state had nearly 12,000 large truck crashes in 2014, and this number seems to be increasing over time.
Why do Accidents Happen on the Cross Bronx Expressway?
As one of the most important roads in New York City, the Cross Bronx Expressway is used by thousands of people every day as they are on their way into the city or on their way home. Some of the reasons for accidents on the Cross Bronx Expressway include:
- Speeding – Speeding is a problem that has been plaguing the trucking industry for years. The faster a truck is going the greater likelihood that it will be involved in an accident, and due to their immense weight this means that any accident will potentially be devastating. Recently, the United States Department of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration joined together to propose that commercial vehicles of a certain weight be equipped with a speed limiting device in an effort to curtail speeding accidents.
- Volume – The sheer amount of people on the Cross Bronx Expressway means that there is a greater likelihood that there will be an accident. Robert Sinclair of AAA said most cities get 50 percent of their freight by rail, but the Tri-State Area only gets 5 percent. The other 95 percent is delivered on wheels. This means that there is a disproportionate amount of tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles on the road in an around New York City and on the Cross Bronx Expressway.
- Driver Fatigue – Drivers who use the Cross Bronx Expressway are used to spending long hours on the road. However, truck drivers who are sitting in traffic on this road may have already been on the road for hours before they got on the road. Truck drivers often spend long hours on the road driving from destination to destination to deliver and pick up freight. Drivers who do not get an adequate amount of rest are more prone to being in accidents, and there are daily reports of drivers falling asleep behind the wheel.
A Department of Transportation study revealed that the three most common reasons for the truck driver fault in a collision are exhaustion, speeding and failure to yield. Generally speaking, the inherent design of a commercial truck and its performance capabilities (including limits associated with acceleration, braking and visibility) and the fact that big rigs tend to have much larger blind spots, are also contributing factors to accidents.
Injured in an Accident on the Cross Bronx Expressway? Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in a serious commercial truck accident with an 18 wheeler or other commercial truck, you may be entitled to damages. Commercial trucks’ large size and significant weight often mean that the injuries inflicted are significantly worse than those typically suffered in other accidents. The truck accident injury lawyers of Reiff & Bily’s The Truck Accident Team may be able to fight for you. To schedule a free and confidential consultation call (800) 896-6173 or contact us online today.