Each day in Allegany County there are car, motorcycle, and tractor-trailer accidents. Often these accidents lead to severe or fatal injuries. While tractor-trailer and commercial drivers are generally well-trained professionals when they or their vehicles are involved in an accident there is a greater risk for severe injuries which can change your life forever.
Commercial Vehicle Accident Types
Tractor-trailers and commercial vehicles are the cause of many accidents throughout the United States every year. In 2014, of the 29,989 fatal crashes on the Nation’s roadways, 3,649 (12.2 percent) involved at least one large truck or bus. In our experience the most common commercial vehicle accidents involve:
- Head-On Collisions – A head-on collision is usually a fatal accident, where a tractor-trailer hits a passenger vehicle of any other type of vehicle directly in the front of their vehicle. Because of the height, weight, and speed that tractors are driving it is very common for the passenger vehicle to go under the tractor-trailer and become crushed.
- Rear-End collisions – You are probably familiar with these types of accidents. More often than not this happens when one driver fails to notice that another driver or drivers have stopped their vehicle. Since it takes much longer for a tractor-trailer to stop this leads to more rear-end collisions and accidents.
- Sideswipe – A sideswipe occurs when one car strikes another car along the side. This is, unfortunately, a very common accident for commercial vehicles because of their large blind spots and zones. Smaller vehicles may be harder to see or altogether invisible to a large truck when they are changing lanes.
There are many other types of accidents and injuries that can occur as a result of a truck accident.
Top Five Truck Accident Injuries
It’s a sad reality that truck accidents happen every day across the country and even right here in Allegany County. Because tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles are much larger and heavier than the average passenger vehicle, when there is a tractor-trailer accident it is much more likely that the injuries are going to be severe and require lengthy and expensive medical treatment.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Anytime there is a sharp and sudden force there is the potential that there is going to be a traumatic brain injury. The brain is a very sensitive and vastly complex organ that controls all of the body’s functions; therefore, any injury to the brain can cause lifelong and debilitating injuries. Traumatic brain injuries or TBI’s can cause problems with attention and focus, affect motor skills and speech, and affect your ability to perform complex and difficult tasks. Another unfortunate effect of a TBI is the lack of clear understanding and regimented rehabilitation for them.
- Whiplash – Whiplash injuries are always a potential injury when there is an accident. While the auto industry has made leaps and bounds developing cars that are safer and better equipped to deal with an accident, whenever there is a large and sudden force applied to a vehicle it is possible that the head and neck will experience a rapid shearing force that can injure the delicate muscles and tendons in the neck. Whiplash can cause severe nausea or confusion and intense pain in your neck and upper back. Others may report severe neck or back pain. In any case, a whiplash injury is one that is caused by the rapidly cycling forces of acceleration and deceleration.
- Spinal column/cord injuries – The spinal column and cord contain many delicate bones and essential nerves. Any injury to these delicate structures can cause severe and lifelong injuries and impairments. Injuries to the spine can also leave a person either partially or totally paralyzed which can require expensive surgeries, lengthy and painful rehabilitation treatments, and lifestyle changes which may include your inability to work.
- Broken bones – There are over 200 bones in the body all of which have the potential of breaking or fracturing. Most of these injuries are caused by a sudden high force impact such as those experienced in a truck accident. While some of these injuries may be minor and heal with very little medical care and oversight other types of bone fractures can cause severe internal and external damage, require lengthy medical care and surgery, and may require the future use of assistive devices.
- Joint Injuries – There are hundreds of joints, ligaments, and tendons in the body that are all at risk if there is an injury. Even with modern safety devices, a sudden and intense impact can lead to a sprain or tear in any one of the joints. A sprain occurs when the ligaments connecting bones together are stretched or torn which can result in pain, swelling, and sometimes paralysis of the joint.
Unfortunately, these injuries merely represent those that are most common. Many other injuries can and do occur as the result of driver negligence, carelessness, and recklessness.
Allegany County Truck Accident Attorneys Willing to Fight for you
If you have been injured because of a truck accident, don’t be intimidated by the large trucking companies and their tactics. You may be entitled to compensation to recover for your injuries and medical bills. Contact an aggressive and strategic truck accident personal injury lawyer from Reiff & Bily’s Truck Accident Team today by calling (800) 896-6173 today. We offer free and confidential consultations.